Sunday, January 14, 2007

A poetic postscript on 'my love life'

People often seem to be incredulous - or sometimes even critical - of the claim I made yesterday to have remained on good terms with all my ex-girlfriends.... even the ones who'd hurt me. It is quite true. Forgiveness is important, I think - for our own peace of mind as much as anything else, for spiritual well-being... and for progress to new loves.

I always try to understand why people have behaved as they have.... and, even when I cannot understand, I try to accept it.

As usual, one of my favourite poets, Robert Graves, said it better than I ever could.



In Her Only Way

When her need for you dies
And she wanders apart,
Never rhetoricize
On the faithless heart,

But with manlier virtue
Be content to say
She both loved you and hurt you
In her only way.

Robert Graves (1895-1985)

No comments: