Better late than never, here is the 'pick of the crop' from just over a year ago....
Guided Tour - recommended posts from the 4th quarter of 2010
1) Brain the size of a planet - 6th October 2010
My formidable talent at trivia quizzes threatens to become an embarrassment and a bore. At least I have a theory on the optimum team size for such competitions. And a strange reminiscence of a 1960s British comic book.
2) Festival overload? - 7th October 2010
I've had too much of music festivals in Beijing. Haven't you?
3) Missing the diva... - 16th October 2010
Cesária Évora was supposed to have been playing in Beijing. I don't think she did. But I was gutted to have missed out on her, whether it actually happened or not.
4) Top Five Signs of Winter - 18th October 2010
It gets COLD early this year.
5) On the mountainside - 18th October 2010
One of my biggest audience participation posts: who would be on your Mount Rushmore of Rock?
6) A song for Ruby - 23rd October 2010
I spend a part of my birthday watching a concert by virtuouso finger-picking guitarist Tommy Emmanuel. And he has an especially pretty song named after one of my companions.
7) Music puns - 29th October 2010
A couple of irresistibly silly cartoons inspired by the names of famous bands.
8) Top Five Things That Can Go Wrong On A Date - 4th November 2010
You need to read this one. You KNOW you do. And then you'll never complain again.
9) Single, and PROUD - 11th November 2010
My response to the recent-ish Chinese holiday of 'Singles Day'.
10) Weird and wonderful - 20th November 2010
Visiting Finnish vaudeville choir Semmarit fairly knock me out.
11) What's the Rush? - 6th December 2010
I see a Rush cover band just down the road from where I live. They're quite good. But why would you want to cover CRAP? [Provocative music post]
12) Pump It Up - 28th November 2010
One of my Great Drinking Songs - the classic Elvis Costello hit, which was one of the regular highlights of 2010's marvellous Monday Nights With Nige.
13) Bon mot for the week - 6th December 2010
One of my own; one of my best.
14) Another useful metaphor... - 8th December 2010
... for that occasional overwhelming imperative you feel to get wasted immediately after work.
15) HBH 212 - 10th December 2010
A particularly good Beijing gig reminds me how I discovered Jimi Hendrix...
16) Top Five New Hangouts - 10th December 2010
2010 was a good year for new bar openings; I broadened my horizons a bit.
17) Bad Santa(s) - 13th December
Concerns about whether this year's SantaCon might get busted by the perpetually over-anxious Chinese security forces suddenly gave me the idea for a new theme song for Chinese dissidents.
18) Top Five STUPID names for bars - 15th December 2010
You wouldn't believe it were possible unless you lived here.
19) Again with the metaphors... - 23rd December 2010
I never approach the turn of the year with anything other than the most extreme trepidation...
20) OffMyFaceBook - 28th December 2010
One of the most marketable ever of my drunken ideas.