from the 2nd Quarter of '08
1) And.... they're off! - 3rd April
One of my most inspired pieces of frivolity: my options for the evening's entertainment depicted as a horse race.
2) Why we drink??? - 7th April
A terrifyingly good quotation from Charles Bukowski.
3) The Plan evolves... - 9th April
Arch-commenter 'Tulsa' goads me into a further elaboration of my infamous Plan for improving my love life.
4) The 'lost' haiku (HBH 24!!) - 16th April
An 'extra' haiku in mid-week, prompted by my belated discovery that I had somehow missed No. 24 out of the series.
5) HBH 76 - 18th April
A haiku celebrating a particularly good - particularly damaging - evening of excess with Jack Daniel's.
6) More mordant txt msg humour - 19th April
I rediscover text message still stored on my phone from 15 months previously: one of my funniest, one of my darkest.
7) More wisdom of the txts - 21st April
A gal pal and I discourse on the mystery of love via SMS.
8) This week's party excuse - 22nd April
My friend DD and I plan a party from scratch during a 10-minute cab ride.
9) The surrogate drinker - 25th April
The Man In Black suggests "I drink, so you don't have to" as the new tag-line for my blog.
10) The weekly bon mot - 28th April
Some wise words from Dr Johnson prompt a little aside from me on the quaint Chinese inability to distinguish between different varieties of alcoholic beverage.
11) A small green thing...... - 29th April
I have a less-than-ideal eating experience at my favourite Xinjiang restaurant.
12) The curse of 'three' - 1st May
Fate taunts me once again in regard to my 'love life'!
13) The Last Table - 4th May
Recollections of the epic drinking that occurred at a Chinese wedding I went to over the May Holiday (along with fellow Pool Bar regular, Crazy Chris).
14) Note to self - 8th May
Will I never learn??
15) Sudden outbreaks of piety - 10th May
Some anecdotes of my struggles with a dodgy knee cartilage (I am sometimes mistaken for a devout Muslim when I kneel on the floor, rocking to and fro and muttering, as I try to pop it back into place).
16) Chinese football fans - 15th May
Having to suffer the company of a horde of Chinese "Manchester United fans" on the final Saturday of the Premiership season brings out the curmudgeon in me - how could it not?
17) The graveyard of good (cultural) intentions - 19th May
I analyse why I didn't actually get to go to any of the concerts I had been planning to see this past weekend - and conclude that it is largely because I have been drinking too much at Room 101 and the Pool Bar!
18) In search of.... the Yanjing Brewery - 21st January
Finally - after 5 years! - I make my long-planned pilgrimage to the factory (lots of photos!) where they manufacture most of the beer that I drink.
19) Gobsmack Double Whammy - 26th May
Two more mind-blowing recent examples of awful service in Chinese bars.
20) The Great Chuanr Crawl - 27th May
'The Lads' and I take on 4 or 5 different yangrou chuanr venues in a single night - the beginning of a Great Quest to find The Best Xinjiang Restaurant In The Neighbourhood.
21) HBH 82 - 30th May
Recollections of a bracing evening meal, consumed outside, in the midst of a violent windstorm.
22) Redemption (2)??? - 31st May
Last night's brilliant Ian Sherman Benefit Gig makes me wonder if the previously dreadful D-22 has finally become a decent music venue - and a decent bar - after all. The jury is still out on that.
23) Weekly bon mot - 2nd June
One of my own, this time.
24) Kolegas birthday gig photos - 3rd June
Some pictures from the awesome 3rd Anniversary concert at favourite music bar, 2 Kolegas, the previous weekend.
25) Bon mot of the week (Wisecrack of the week?) - 9th June
A great line from one of the great films about bars.
26) Man-Eating Sofa 2, Euro Football 0 - 10th June
A very short post, but it became the discussion forum on the European Football Championships - one of my busiest threads ever!
27) Marjorie Daw - 29th June
I enlist the help of eccentric barhound, Crazy Chris, to chat up a woman on my behalf. This is a mistake.
28) Bon mot of the week - 30th June
Bukowski again - this time via the Mickey Rourke film, Barfly.