Monday, August 18, 2008

Beer beats Starvation

In terms of weight-gain versus weight-loss, that is.

Yes, I am shamelessly recycling a recent post from Froogville here. Please forgive me. A slow Monday morning and I'm feeling lazy.

Last week, I got very sick with a dose of Shihuangdi's Revenge. After two days of dehydrating fairly badly and eating nothing at all except for a few Ritz crackers, I found I had lost barely 1kg in weight (although I suppose I was completely inactive for those two days, and sipping quite a lot of stomach-soothing Coca Cola). After two further days of eating almost nothing, but trying to lead a more normal and active life again, I had lost 1kg more.

Now, actually, to lose 4 or 5 lbs (I grew up with the Imperial System, and will always think in it) in the space of less than a week is pretty dramatic, and that is about the most extreme "dieting" I would ever expect to put myself through. Even so, it seemed a rather puny drop in weight when set against the fact that I had - apparently - gained a whopping 3kg over the previous weekend. If that is true, I suppose I must attribute it to a heavier-than-usual indulgence (all that Olympic ballyhoo, you know) in the notoriously waistline-boosting Stella Artois.

Then again, maybe my bathroom scales are just completely up the spout. I can but hope.

No comments: