1) Two bon mots for the price of one - 10th September
I always try to give value!
2) A bon mot on drinking & gambling - 3rd September
An interesting observation on nights of drunken excess from Jim Morrison of The Doors.
3) Lingering enmity - 1st September
A brief comment on my least favourite bar in Beijing.
4) PWG - 31st August
I create a new acronym: convenient shorthand for the late-afternoon rallying call to gather for restorative drinks - let's go for a Post-Work Gargle!
5) HBH 43: A sidewalk barbecue stall in west China - 31st August
One of the most popular of my recent haiku - inspired by a work trip to Szechuan.
6) More Chinglish fun - 30th August
Some amusing, disturbing manglings of English observed on a recent business trip.
7) "Jello Biafra cut my hair" - 22nd August
My favourite line from this year's trip to the Edinburgh Festival.
8) All-night cellar bar - 19th August
The highlight of this year's Edinburgh experience occurs in a bar I don't even know the name of! (Also celebrated in this haiku.)
9) Edinburgh Fringe reviews - 12th August
My round-up of the best shows I saw on The Fringe this summer.
10) Midnight - 25th July
Remembering Beijing's best - sadly short-lived - cocktail bar, and one particular evening I spent there with a Great Lost Love.
11) The Wasteland - 24th July
A tearful farewell (with pictures) to Beijing's most characterful trio of bars (written up in more detail here) - all marked for demolition to make way for a disgusting new mega-mall.
12) & 13) How not to run a bar & How not to run a bar (2) - 23rd July
Two astounding examples of rudeness and shoddy management from foreign-owned bars in Beijing.
14) The Devil's Triangle - 22nd July
Remembering my favourite trio of Beijing bars.
15) Unique Selling Point - 19th July
Adding formaldehyde to beer is so common in China that its absence can become a focus of advertising - alarming, but true!
16) Unhelpful - 10th July
Two more micro-anecdotes about my Oxford student days, featuring the unlikely hero of my blog - The Bookseller.
17) Bar Crazy - 8th July
On a business trip to Xi'an, I discover a street with 27 bars in the space of a quarter of a mile. Ah, China....
18) Unlucky 13 - 7th July
An unfortunate altercation relegates one of my former favourite bars to the 'Hate List'.