Thursday, January 10, 2008

The suavest Role Model

I started the week with a celebrated quotation from the great Errol Flynn, and that got me to thinking that I really should induct him formally into the 'Unsuitable Role Models' Hall of Infamy. I mean, the man was buried with six bottles of whisky in his coffin - how hardcore is that?!

His autobiography, the splendidly titled My Wicked, Wicked Ways, is apparently still in print, and is a fantastic read. He says at one point, I think in reference to a meeting with Clark Gable:
"People ask, 'What do two actors talk about when they meet?' The answer is themselves."

My favourite line about him comes from his great friend and 'partner in crime', David Niven:
"You always know where you stand with Errol. He always lets you down."


A stats-freak aside: this, by the way, was Post No. 500 on the Barstool. I really never thought we'd get this far. We're also rapidly closing in our 7,000th visitor. Great oaks from little acorns....

2 comments:

garv said...

I picked up a new book that looks extremely promising -- Hollywood's Hellfire Club: The Misadventures of John Barrymore, W.C. Fields, Errol Flynn and the Bundy Drive Boys by Gregory William Mank. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet as I'm working my way through the complete Sherlock Holmes.

Froog said...

Well, check in again and let us know when you're done.