Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Jello Biafra cut my hair"

Every summer I spend in Edinburgh for the Festivals seems to throw up a crop of memorable moments and quotations; but the coolest one of this year - or of any year, come that - surely has to be this one in the title here.

Of course, you have to know who Jello Biafra is. (Tulsa, I'm guessing you need help with this.)

Luckily, I did. He was the front man for The Dead Kennedys, a thrash punk outfit from San Francisco which enjoyed a brief spell of fame/notoriety in the early '80s. I bought a couple of their albums - Holiday In Cambodia, Plastic Surgery Disasters, and the In God We Trust EP (which includes a manic version of the old TV theme 'Rawhide', sung in its entirety in about 25 seconds) - chiefly because I liked the titles. (Lizzie, are these still in my record collection??)


My drinking companion on the all-night Mexican binge recently reported has been hanging around the music scene her whole life, and claims to have been "a roadie" for the DKs when she was barely into her teens. And Jello gave her a haircut once, she told me. Beer fairly squirted out of my nose. Or it would have done, had I been drinking at the time. You could have knocked me down with a feather!


I don't care whether it's true (though I rather think it is) - it's a great line!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - so, how do you pot blog entries in weird order? I missed this one - and nearly spit the much needed coffee I was drinking out MY nose.

Froog said...

I don't know what you mean, Weasley.

It comes out as it comes out.

So, what, you were "a roadie" at 14? You never did explain how that came about or what it entailed.

Anonymous said...

OK - I responded in a very witty, lengthy story-telling way from Shakespeares on Lothian Way, but the connection crapped out and the brilliant text was lost forever.

So...my brother played bass in the band that pened for the DK, I hung out alot backstage. Jello said I ould carry mic stand - that made me a roadie. and yes, he cut my hair. It only took twenty seconds because then (age 13) like now, it was long straight and dark blonde - OK - brown.

Froog said...

Ah, so now we know. Thanks.

I don't think I know Shakespeares. You are getting around, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

and....Victoria terrace, over looking the Bow Bar...wish I had found that sooner, spectacular place for a pint.

Anonymous said...

WB, Froog likes to keep us on our toes with his out of order postings... "Constant Vigilance" is his motto.

and Froog, thanks for the explanation.

And WB -- Cool.