Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A concert for Ian

I've mentioned Ian Sherman - the "beardy layabout" who writes the rock music reviews for Time Out Beijing - on here before, when I was teasing him about the occasional obscurity (at least for me!) of some of his references and a slight tendency to over-praise minor overseas bands visiting here (I blame an excess of enthusiasm or optimism sometimes on the ennui that inevitably sets in occasionally from the constant exposure to Beijing's good-ish but rather limited rock scene). I hope that I balanced those good-natured jibes with the sincere compliments in my opening paragraph about him then. I repeat those points now. He is a very fine writer, he's extremely witty, his knowledge of modern music is dauntingly wide-ranging, and his passion for it is really inspiring. He's also a thoroughly good bloke - liked and respected by everyone on the gig circuit here.

Ian got sick a few months ago - one of those really nasty things that we don't like to talk about or think about. I was probably one of the first people here to find out about it, since I happened to bump into him at a party on the day he'd had the test, and he felt the urge to confide in someone about his anxieties - even though I'm really just an acquaintance rather than a close friend. Things seem to be going well, and we're all keeping fingers crossed that he's going to pull through fine. He's coping with the ordeal with remarkable resilience, courage, and humour - even somehow managing to keep up most of his writing for Time Out despite having been in America for treatment for a month or so. It was great to see him doing the rounds back in Beijing for a couple of weeks recently. He's now back home in the UK for more treatment, but we're eagerly looking forward to his permanent return here. The 'scene' just isn't quite so much fun without him.

I gather Ian was caught without health insurance, so his medical bills are becoming a massive burden on him and his family. Therefore, the Beijing music community is rallying round to try to help out a bit: all the local record labels - Tag Team, Modern Sky, Maybe Mars - are joining forces to put on a huge benefit gig for him. There's a long roster of bands slated to appear, many of them rather good..... Ourselves Beside Me (terrible name, decent band), Carsick Cars (ditto), PK14 (obscure name, really good band), Arrows Made Of Desire (annoyingly Chinglishified misquotation, but often an interesting band), Randomk(e) (annoyingly incomprehensible name but a very good band), and more.

It's on at D-22 this Friday, from early evening (first band on at 7?? I'll believe it when I see it!) until, I imagine, very, very late. Of course, I'll be there to show solidarity with Ian. And I hope you all will be too. (I'm even setting aside my well-known loathing of D-22 for the evening. Greater love hath no man!)


All best wishes to Ian and his family. Be well again soon, mate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout, although I should point out that, sadly, my 'beardy' days are behind me. Henceforth please refer to me as "ian sherman, slaphead layabout".

Hope the gig was a awesome as it looked on paper.

Froog said...

Great to hear from you, Your Beardiness. I'm sure it will grow back. Like my virginity! And at least you've still got that "layabout" thing going on.

Yes, it was indeed a splendid evening: all the bands on great form, and the sound system performing much better than usual. A big crowd outside on the pavement too, enjoying the fine weather that's finally come along this week (still fairly mild: more like spring than early summer).

A pity you had to miss this one. Maybe some of it will show up on YouTube.

Looking forward to welcoming you back. Take care.