Saturday, May 09, 2009

Congratulations, Huxley

Huxley, Beijing's most resilient bar entrepreneur and creator of the eponymous dive that is one of the Houhai's most celebrated watering holes, is getting married today. I think he's been in a steady relationship with his good lady for most of the six years or so I've known him, but he had seemed set on preserving his nominal 'bachelor' status for as long as possible. Now, at last, he's taking the plunge. I wish him and his bride all the best for a long and happy life together.

And I look forward to celebrating with him again soon. I'm quite sure that the change of status won't stop him coming out for a drink with us once in a while!


As it happens, I got caught up - quite by accident - in his stag night last week: I ran into him as he was bar crawling up Nanluoguxiang (Beijing is a very small world sometimes - there are only a handful of places where you'd want to go for a stag celebration). That was quite a night!! I would share some details of it with you, but, as my friend The Weeble always puts it, "My recollection of the matter is imperfect."

No comments: