Friday, June 26, 2009

The Boys Are Back In Town

I had thought that this week might be my last ever chance to see my favourite Xinjiang folksters Panjir (since I'm about to leave on an extended summer holiday, and band leader Ekber Ebliz is set to leave for the States to take up a scholarship at the Berklee School of Music).

However, I learn that Ekber is not starting school till next January, so the band should still be playing together regularly for the rest of this year.

Moreover, the co-founder of the group, British guitar maestro David Mitchell, has just come back to Beijing. He's around for the whole of next month, so the band will be reunited in its original line-up for a number of gigs - I believe they'll be playing at least once at the Stone Boat, as well as their regular Thursday night spots at Jiangjinjiu.

It was a happy accident that I caught David and Ekber's first reunion yesterday. I shall be sorry to miss the rest of their performances in July - but it's nice to know that I'll have at least a few more chances to see Ekber and the boys later in the year.

No comments: