Friday, October 06, 2006

More from Jeff

A few of my most cherished lines from the late, great Jeffrey Bernard.

On depression:
"Unhappiness is a kind of disease. You catch it in childhood, and it's incurable."

On the tedium of the British Sunday (things have got a lot better in the last 15 years or so, with a considerable relaxation of the licensing laws and other long-standing restrictions on Sunday trading; but in the 70s and 80s, when I was growing up, the weekends were a wasteland of nothing-to-do):
"Sundays are a sort of dress rehearsal for being dead."

On gambling (he had all the vices!):
"I don't gamble for excitement. I gamble because I'm lazy and I want something for nothing."

On the double-edged sword of 'eternal youthfulness':
"I used to think I was Peter Pan; but I've suddenly realised I'm The Flying Dutchman."

No comments: