Monday, October 23, 2006

That mystery birthday cocktail...

I learn that the drink which did such BAD things to me a couple of days ago is more widely known as a 'Dr Pepper', because it attempts to mimic the taste of the famously foul-tasting proprietary soda. I can't see the appropriateness of this, or even the point of the attempt. I am not one of those perverse enthusiasts for Dr Pepper soda. To my mind, it tastes like cough syrup. Regurgitated cough syrup. The beer-and-depth-charge combination my friend The Barman mixed up for me on Friday actually tasted surprisingly nice.

It seems that he was taught this recipe by a friend of my pal Nick the Photographer.... called Gary. Not a doctor, though, I don't think. No matter. It's a good name for the drink. Thus are cocktails born and named. Around these parts, this dangerous potion will always be known as the 'Dr Gary'.

Gary, whoever and wherever you are, thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

an old favourite of mine is the irish carbomb, half pint of guiness in a full pint glass, shot glass 3/4 filled with jamesons (or other irish whiskey) and then layered with baileys. depth charge it and down before the baileys curdles, the shot comes shooting through the guinness as you drink it- is highly palatable and will blow a hole in the back of your head!

Froog said...

I usually prefer my Guinness unadulterated, thanks. Or, if I am going to adulterate it, a straight depth-charge of whiskey is the thing.

Putting Bailey's in it just sounds cruel & unusual, I'm afraid.

I had a friend once - Mad Irish Dave, we called him - who was fond of making 'baby Guinness' shooters with Sheridan's Irish coffee mix. To be consumed immediately after a Guinness, NOT in the same glass as!

Norbert Palestrina said...

Sheridan's is the sputum of Beelzebub, drunk by old women who find Bailey's too daring. Just drink whiskey, for fuck's sake.

Norbert Palestrina said...

P.S. Baby Guinness is made with Bailey's and Kahlua. It's almost as sweet and vile as Sheridan's.