Monday, November 20, 2006

An Oxford man

One of my lovely lady e-penpals chided me a while ago for my aforementioned fondness for dope, suggesting it was something that I really ought to have 'got over' during my undergraduate days. Then she followed up with this quite brilliant line:
"Ah, but I forgot, you went to Oxford, didn't you? With you lot, it was probably all debating and chess and betting on which one of you was going to make Prime Minister."

I mostly exercised my rhetoric in the bar rather than the debating chamber, and I preferred backgammon (at which I am pretty formidable) to chess (at which I am dismal). And most of the gilded butterflies of my generation were angling for careers in the media rather than politics - so it was more a case of betting on who would be the first to become Editor of The Times or The Telegraph.

But in general, that's a pretty fair summary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
EARTHLING said...

I'm a really good backgammon player too!! Not so good at chess though.