Sunday, March 11, 2007

Another bench statue


This is Glenn Gould, on Front Street in Toronto, during the recent snow. I wonder when this was erected. I don't remember him being there when I was living in TO nearly a decade ago.

As well as being a wonderful - if considerably more eccentric-than-average - pianist (his recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations is a must-have), GG was of course also immortalised by '32 Short Films About Glenn Gould', surely the weirdest tribute film ever made, but quite fascinating. This in turn inspired one of the greatest-ever Simpson's episodes, '22 Short Films About Springfield' (I particularly like the 'Pulp Fiction' pastiche in the KrustyBurger, and Apu's 'Bollywood' pool party scene).

However, I'm free-associating here..... brainfogged by a long and tedious afternoon of editing. I put this picture up purely as a comparison with the one below of Patrick Kavanagh's statue in Dublin.

The Gould picture comes from a favourite photoblog, Daily Dose Of Imagery - which, rather as you'd expect from the title, puts up one new picture each day. It's the baby of Sam Javanrouh, a professional photographer, originally from Iran but now living and working in Toronto. Well worth a look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how he looks like he's cold and has got his shoulders hunched in, as if to preserve the remaining warmth, all the while covered in snow. very cool pic.

I've never heard of him. I probably watched that simpsons episode without a clue as to its inspiration - I wonder if these 32 short films have been pirated yet (and, hence, available on the corner).

Froog said...

No, never seen it in the DVD stores here. It came out early '90s. Co-written by Don McKellar, who made the cultishly popular 'Last Night', one of the more unusual end-of-the-world films (which I do have on DVD.... somewhere).

The title is probably more famous than the film itself. The Simpsons episide was a pastiche of every other film you can think of, but I don't think they actually referenced anything in the Gould film itself.

I'm going to ask my TO friend Trish when that statue was put up. I'm sure I don't remember it from my days there. And that is the kind of thing I notice. And photograph.

Have you checked out Daily Dose Of Imagery yet?

Anonymous said...

No. but since you ask, I assume it's worth the checking out of. And I do have a thing for picture taking - so that'll be my next break :)