Monday, March 26, 2007

Elements of the 'good life': perfect martinis and poisoning pigeons

I chose that line from the great Tom Lehrer (still with us, I'm glad to note, though soon to turn 79 - and having retired from satire in the 1960s) for this morning's 'bon mot of the week' largely as a reminder to my buddy The Choirboy that he has promised to start having start-the-weekend cocktail sessions round at his pad early on Friday evenings, once the weather starts getting warmer.

The dear boy mixes a fine martini, so this is a much-anticipated addition to the social calendar in these parts.

And the weather is now definitely getting warmer.....

PS I just used another Lehrer line over in my latest post on Froogville. I wonder how many people catch these passing references these days?

3 comments:

georg said...

I've been singing exerpts of Lehrer since I was 6. Some of my first records ever was That Was The Year That Was and Tom Lehrer Sings. The Old Dope Peddler had a terrible stratch in it, so I learned to sing, "The Old Ope Peddler" instead, and perhaps that's more germaine to your current town.

Few visuals in my memory are as endearing as a small child doing a can-can to the Vatican Rag.

Froog said...

Hey Georg,

I would never have guessed that about you. Great to find another Lehrer fan!

Very 'enlightened' of your parents to let you sample him so young.

I got my introduction through a favourite radio programme of my childhood, a weekly compilation of classic humour on BBC Radio 4 called "Frank Muir goes into...." Each week there'd be a different linking topic; but almost every week they'd find some excuse for including one of Lehrer's songs.

georg said...

I used to sing "the most romantic song I know" as a pick up line at conventions... "I Hold Your Hand in Mine Dear." I'd get down on one knee and take their hand and sing it as soulfully as I could manage. I figured that if they didn't jerk their hand away, they at least had a sense of humor. And if they joined in, they were a keeper.