Monday, March 12, 2007

Hot off the press.....

This morning's little frippery, result of a few moments' noodling in that strangely productive half-awake state.


musical history

I started playing truant
from my early years at school
then I moved on
to playing the fool
with a band of mates

for several years
I duetted with a girl
I played tough
while she played hard-to-get
then she switched
to playing away
and broke
our partnership up
citing 'artistic differences'

I went back
to playing the fool mostly
and moved
around the country a lot

now I play old fart most nights
in local bars
the regulars seem to like
my performances
they buy me drinks
sometimes
they make requests
they say:
"play 'Solitude' again.
we never get tired
of that." or
"what's that one
about the redhead?
that's good."
they even flatter me
they say: "wow, man,
you really got something,
you could've been
one of the greats."
I tell them
they're too kind
I say
I've only been playing old fart
a few years...
but I guess
I've been practising
all my life

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

amusing :)

Froog said...

In a desperately sad kind of way....

Anonymous said...

you're too hard on yourself.

but, wait, i remember you "like dark." (sometimes?) so go on, be hard on yourself, get it out of the system, then swing back to light and happy.

The British Cowboy said...

Light & happy?

The closest I have seen to that is light rum and completely plastered.

But that's the way we love you, froog...

Anonymous said...

Why does "old fart" make me laugh so much???