Saturday, March 10, 2007

Wistful, Waits-ful

Lazy morning, slow start to the day, listening to Tom Waits's 'Closing Time' for the first time in quite a while. God, I love this album. This is a perfect account of thwarted flirting in a bar, of fantasising about a woman and doing nothing about it. And then having another drink by way of consolation. A feeling I know only too well.



I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You

Well, I hope that I don't fall in love with you,
'Cause falling in love just makes me blue.
Well, the music plays and you display
Your heart for me to see.
I had a beer and now I hear you
Calling out for me.
And I hope that I don't fall in love with you.

Well, the room is crowded, people everywhere,
And I wonder, should I offer you a chair?
Well, if you sit down with this old clown,
Take that frown and break it,
Before the evening's gone away,
I think that we could make it.
And I hope that I don't fall in love with you.

Well, the night does funny things inside a man:
These old tomcat feelings you don't understand.
Well, I turn around to look at you;
You light a cigarette.
I wish I had the guts to bum one,
But we've never met.
And I hope that I don't fall in love with you.

I can see that you are lonesome just like me;
And it being late, you'd like some company.
Well, I turn around to look at you,
And you look back at me.
The guy you're with has up and split;
The chair next to you's free.
And I hope that you don't fall in love with me.

Now it's closing time; the music's fading out.
Last call for drinks - I'll have another stout.
Well, I turn around to look at you;
You're nowhere to be found.
I search the place for your lost face....
Guess I'll have another round.
And I think that I just fell in love with you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ultimate undecisiveness.

too bad you'r other 3 blog readers propably have as little knowledge of Indian/Bengali literature as you probably do - otherwise we could chat about "Choker Bali" or "Devdas" and the male characters in them that couldn't make a decision/move even if meant saving their life.

But as this is a Western poem/song - I'll assume this phenomenon is not exclusive to the Indian subcontinent.

any ladies out there of Western descent care to confirm? share?

Anonymous said...

Love that song!