Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Amnesia, a friend indeed

One of my pals was making a bit of an arse of himself in front of a woman he was trying to impress the other night. He was floundering so badly that he dragged me in to join the conversation, just as I was trying to leave the party (midnight, 'pumpkin time', early start for work the next day): I wasn't quite clear as to whether he was thinking she might be more my type (too tall for him, I fancy) and wanted me to take her off his hands before he embarrassed himself any further, or whether I was just being recruited as a 'wingman', to provide helpful support and diversion.

I won't go into the details, but it was an ugly 'crash & burn'. She made her excuses and drifted off. My friend was perversely confident that she would shortly return. I could find no trace of her, so wished him luck and headed home to bed.

When I alluded teasingly to these events in an SMS exchange with him a couple of days later, he professed to have no recollection of them whatsoever.

I replied: "Ah, alcohol - the cure for shame."

2 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

Or as Homer Simpson once so wisely said:

Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems

Froog said...

Yes, I might well use that as one of my 'bon mots of the week' one day.

I also have a soft spot for Troy McClure's "Ah, sweet liquor eases the pain."

There are probably many more great lines like that I could nick from the Simpsons, but I can't remember any just now.

Going to miss the Erik & Sheila nuptials next week, alas. Make mayhem for me!

I will try to send a gift over to DC shortly.