Monday, April 16, 2007

Another poetic 'thought', and some random questions

prohibition makes you
want to cry
into your beer and
denies you the beer
to cry into

Don Marquis (1878-1937)


Ah, the Eighteenth Amendment! I believe it's the only Constitutional Amendment in the United States to have been repealed by a further Amendment (the Twenty-First). There are lessons in that for the "war on drugs" today. I have seen it said that during the 1920s more liquor was drunk in the United States than at any other period of its history - though how you can measure that, heaven knows.

How much alcohol does a given country consume in any single year? Who are the world's per capita boozing champions? Any guesses?? It's all probably out there on the Internet somewhere. I believe it's the Belgians who are supposed to top the rankings for beer consumption; but for hard liquor, I think I'd put my money on the Poles or the Russians.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not that I know anything about this, but I'd guess that dark, cold places with limited entertainment consume the largest amount of liquor. Alaska during the dark months?