Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Post 200 - time for another poem!

Another milestone passed! They're really flying by in a blur now.

We celebrate with one of my most personal - though not one of my best (I think there's probably in fact some sort of reverse correlation there) - 'poems'.



Connoisseur of Melancholy

I lay my sadness down for years to come;
Hide it far from sight, to patiently await
The moment of its perfection
In a dark cool vault, where
Bottled griefs ripen to despair.

From time to time, I descend to these depths
To review my collection; squinting
Through the gloom to make out
The names and years in endless rows;

Turning each one over lovingly in my mind,
Poring fondly over faded labels;
Recalling each painful acquisition
With soft regret and sorrowful delight.

Looking at me & you, I think
That was a very good year;
But (following the experts) I know
It will be another decade yet
Until its savour is keenest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that spoke to me

are you sure there is a reverse correlation?

I have more to say on this, but a little overwhelmed by it for now to properly articulate