Sunday, September 09, 2007

Confession

It was mean of me to taunt "The Professor" like that. (I meant well. It was for his own good.) I was scarcely any better myself on the stamina front yesterday.

I had a string of late nights and not-sleeping very well all week. I had a 3am session on Thursday night and then a 1am session on Friday night (sandwiching a 10-hour stint at work); and then had to force myself to get up much earlier than I would have liked on Saturday because I was expecting an ayi (= "cleaning lady") to call. Ayi, where were you??

After a long day of apartment tidying, laundry, catching up on blogging and e-mailing, going for a run, etc., I was pretty much dead on my feet by early evening. I did, in fact, fall asleep on one of the comfy chairs in The Bookworm for half an hour.

I went to the launch party for the new Nanjie quite early (too early!). Not many people were there. My usual 'posse' were being obstinately uncontactable. I went and sat on the balcony, waiting to watch the world go by. It never came by. (A favourite line from Charlie Brown, by the way!) No, I just stared in a zombie-like trance at the crap Thai restaurant over the road for a couple of hours.

Then I came to my senses, remembered England were playing football, and headed home (I had thought it was an 11pm kick-off, Beijing time; but actually it was midnight - so, I had time to get in a little more blogging!).

Yet another late night. And I have a full day at the Beijing Pop Festival in prospect today. And then a very full week at work next week. Ugh...... I feel like I need a holiday again already.

PS I learn that Tulsa and her Professor did venture out later, after all ..... probably missing me at Nanjie by a matter of minutes, in fact. Bother!

5 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

Note to self, and any others...

Playing "who can order the weirdest shot that is still drinkable and consists of only one spirit with or without a small amount of other flavors" when you have to work the enxt day is not a good thing.

I won though!

Froog said...

Oh, life is made easy for us here in The 'Jing. Most cheap Chinese restaurants have started carrying the local poison for sale in pre-packed shooter glasses (rather generous measures, though: probably trebles, in fact) with a tin-foil seal. They are a bugger to get open, and you generally slice a piece out of your finger or your thumb in the process, but.... it's worth it.

There's one that has some kind of red, dried seed in the bottom (a rose-hip, maybe) that's really quite pleasant. And then there's my usual default option, meng jiu, the Mongolian candidate.

And then there's erguotou, the local rotgut, which is very nasty but practically free, and does the job.

What was your winning selection??

The British Cowboy said...

Tuaca

It is an Italian caramel flavored liqueur. Kind of watered down coke with a kick...

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/139

And off the point, it is 12.30 am. I have worked on this brief since 8 am. I need one damn case and I cannot find it!!!

Froog said...

What, no butterscotch schnapps?

Or Goldschlager?! Ah, I remember Goldschlager.... (At least, I think I do. Is that what it was called?)

The British Cowboy said...

Neither of those are weird, froog. And Tuaca is actually a pleasant drink. Goldschlager is odious. And butterscotch schapps is made only for getting sorority girls drunk.