Thursday, September 06, 2007

Rose Street

Rose Street is a central part of the Edinburgh summer experience, quite possibly the best 'bar street' in the world. It's a pedestrianized lane a mile or so long, running parallel to and midway between Princes Street and George Street. So, it runs right past the back of the Assembly Rooms, one of the main Fringe venues. There are a number of other smaller venues within a stone's throw. And The Traverse, the best proper theatre participating in the Festival, is not too far away either. Thus it is an ideal place for whiling away the intervals between shows; and it is, accordingly, stuffed to the gills with Skulking Theatregoer pubs.

I dream of having a 'stag' pub crawl along there one day - should I ever get married (which is, I admit, looking an extremely unlikely event; but what is life without a few daydreams?). I'd probably include two of my very favourite Edinburgh bars, The Guildford Arms and The Café Royal, even though they aren't actually on Rose Street: they are on the same latitude, only a few hundred yards further east, and spiritually they seem to be on the same continuum.

I've never actually managed to count up the total number of bars on Rose St. It changes from time to time (for instance, The Saltire, one of oldest and most characterfully, most scarily grotty of them, was closed this summer - though perhaps only temporarily). And there are issues of definition. There are quite a few cheap-ish restaurants that are quite happy for you to just hang out and drink in them (these I would be tempted to include). And there are a few more modern, glitzy, wine-bar-y ones (these don't count!). Anyway, it's a big number - probably 20 or so, at least. Barely survivable. But I will do it one day, oh yes - a drink in every bar along there in the space of a single day. Anyone care to join me?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I claim to be gay, can I join the "stag" pub crawl????? (I need some new exotic stories)

Anonymous said...

Why wait for your (possible)nuptials for a stag do? Why not have an un-stag do? Or a non-stag do??? (Or should that be a non-stag stag-do...?)

Then, Weasleyburrow, us girlies/laydeez* could have a non-hen hen-do.

Froog, may I throw Glasgow's Byres Road into the ring for a fabulous pub-crawl-with-character (definitely up there with Rose Street...some may even argue it's better than Rose Street). You need to brave the west-bound M8 and realise your initial impressions of Glasgow (Buchanan Bus Station??? I ask you!) are completely off-the-mark.

Then there's always the Glasgow Sub Crawl, www.subcrawl.co.uk if you really want to see some REAL Glasgow character (and characters...)

Do all three, even - over a weekend. Now THAT would be a messy party... I imagine there would be carnage if you did that!

*delete where applicable

The British Cowboy said...

The guys at work threw me a re-bachelor party when I got divorced. I think it is a much better concept than the original idea.

Anonymous said...

A re-bachelor party?? What a brilliant concept!

What about an 'eternal bachelor party for Froog?

Apparently, divorce parties and related paraphinalia (cards, gifts, etc) are all the rage, certainly in the UK. I assume they are fairly common in the States too, bearing in mind that when the USA sneezes, the UK catches a cold (certainly economically speaking, but I think it can apply to just about anything...).

Additionally, there have been reports in the newspapers (purely speculation of course, but you do wonder) that there is a direct, inverse link between cost of and length of marriage, ie the more that is spent on a wedding, the less time the marriage is expected to last (apologies to the newly-weds out there, but I only speak as I hear).

Bearing in mind the Frugality of Froog (not my personal opinion: see recent post(s)), I expect he will have a long and happy marriage - as long as gets his finger out and gets himself a laydee. And no, I'm not putting myself forward for such an accolade. On that note, Froog, your readership hasn't heard much in the way regarding the mysterious Madam X. Do tell!

Froog said...

You don't have to "go over to the other side" to go drinking with me, Weasley. I don't see the big thing of these unisex stag do's. Most of my friends are women anyway...

Of course you must come on the Rose St Crawl. We're relying on you to sort out the motorboat on Loch Ness at dawn the next day.

I haven't had a chance to check out your Rab C. Nesbitt site yet, Ali.

Madame X - we do not speak of her. I am trying to go cold turkey.

The British Cowboy said...

There is nothing wrong with coed drinking parties. But a stag night is a stag night. Indeed, the presence of women (as part as the drinking group as opposed to employees of later visited establishments) may enhance the evening, but it still wouldn't be a stag party...

Froog said...

Oh, you're so narrowminded sometimes, Cowboy.

Surely 'stag' is properly more to do with the occasion than the composition of the entourage. If I have girlie mates who enjoy hanging out with the lads and can drink properly, they're more than welcome to come along.

And if their presence inhibits certain of the party from arranging a minibus tour of the strip clubs around the edge of Philadelphia - for example - well, I wouldn't have any regrets over that.

Anonymous said...

not to continue on the theme of "who the hell is weasley"...but some of us are girlie mates who can drink, and are straight, AND have toured our share of strip clubs with "the guys", so BC - watch out, you might just end up with a party to plan!

Anonymous said...

What's your definition of 'drinking properly', Froog???

Anonymous said...

And I'm now confused... who's Weasleyburrow and who's Moonrat? Are they one and the same? Or am I just confooosed?

And which of the above does the blog called Editorialass?? It's a wonderful read, whoever writes it.

Anonymous said...

Last comment... its ok... I figured it out with some 'hot-linking'... not confused any more :o)

Froog said...

So, no, Ali, they are not the same. Weasley is a business associate (in the theatre; so, you know, creative & worthy rather being just about the bucks) of my old buddy Giles - who I think you met last year. We hung out in Edinburgh a few times last month. Alas, it was only a very short visit for me this time.

Moonrat I know only through blogging. She is indeed very sharp and funny and passionate about books (she sounds like the sister I never had??). I hope to look her up the next time I'm passing through NYC - whenever that may be....

Froog said...

And there may be a post on "drinking properly" in a little while.

I need to give it some thought.

The British Cowboy said...

Ok - for the record. I have nothing against women, drinking with women, attending strip clubs with women, drinking parties that do not involve going to strip clubs etc etc.

But a stag do is a stag do. I am more quibbling over terminology than whether a night's boozing with a coed crowd would be a good thing. Indeed I think it would be.