Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gig frustration; gig compensation

A very vexing time I had earlier this evening.

I received an e-mail this afternoon advertising the visit this month of an Indian woman musician called Shubha Sankaran who plays a rare kind of über-sitar called a surbahar (which has allegedly never been heard in China before). She's here for a few weeks, playing a series of gigs around town, with an American guy accompanying her on a regular sitar.

As luck would have it, I'm not free for any of their other dates. Their opening gig - TONIGHT - was going to be my only chance to hear them.

On the plus side, it was quite near my office.

On the minus side, I didn't know the venue, and had only the vaguest of directions to it - no map, no name/address in Chinese.

Finding anywhere in this city is generally a pretty huge ordeal (I could go into this unfortunate phenomenon at great length - perhaps in another post at another time, maybe over on Froogville - but, in a nutshell: everything looks the same; the system of ascribing addresses is wildly confused; names of streets and buildings are rarely displayed; and everybody - the Chinese especially, but foreigners too - gives appalling directions). At night, in the middle of a park, I had no chance at all. After I'd made several vain attempts to contact the event organiser, she did eventually send me a series of text messages - which appeared to be claiming that the teahouse hosting the performance was..... well, somewhere it plainly wasn't, a spot that I had actually stood on while hopelessly scanning 360°around me! Grrrrrrr.

Anyway, I managed to be fairly philosophical about it. I had known it was a pretty hopeless cause before I even set off, so was thoroughly mentally prepared for the frustration and disappointment when it indeed materialised.

And at least it was a nice evening for a walk home.

And, if I hadn't decided to walk home, I probably wouldn't have gone out at all tonight. But since I was passing by my local Nanluoguxiang bar street on the way back (well, a small detour), I thought I'd drop in somewhere for 'just the one'. I happened upon Salud (site of last year's infamous Christmas party where I was inveigled into playing Santa, and also of the French-babe-overload The Choirboy and I suffered some months later), which is now doing live music every Wednesday. And tonight it was really rather a decent little laowai blues trio I hadn't heard before - which was probably much more what I was in the mood for. (And they probably wouldn't have had any beer in that mysterious, invisible Zhongshan Park teahouse!)

Things have a way of working out for the best sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

other than this Saturday's afternoon and nighttime gigs, the sitarists will also be playing in South Gate Space in Dashanzi on Saturday, Oct. 20th, 8pm. call 6438 2797 for reservations, cover 80RMB at door and 60RMB if you reserve a spot by phone. Which, by the way, is way better than the 150RMB (tea will be served) that you'd have to fork over if you had found the Zhongshan Teahouse last night.

All for the best, right? :)

Froog said...

The on in Ritan Park on Saturday is even cheaper. I'm aiming for that one.

150rmb?? Ouch! Teahouses are such a rip-off.