Wednesday, October 03, 2007

More curmudging...

There's quite a lot of music going on in town this week. Almost too much. I don't have the time, energy, or money to go check out anywhere near all of it, and am finding it hard to prioritise.

Last night The Choirboy persuaded me to accompany him to Beijing's biggest live music venue, Star Live (a comparative newcomer on the scene: it only opened a year or so ago), for a doubleheader of visiting American 'bands'.

I'm still in two minds about the place. It's really a bit bigger than I like; the more intimate atmosphere of Beijing's typical, pint-sized music clubs is usually much more fun. It's quite a lot more expensive than I like (there's another 'big name' act on there tonight, but there's no way I can go twice in succession at those prices!). The efficiency/friendliness of the staff is still pretty hit-and-miss (though improving somewhat, I think, over a year ago). The bars have become much better and much cheaper, but are still somewhat disorganised, and easily overwhelmed by high demand (last night they ran out of beer! I ask you!!). And there are only two very small circles on the entire floorspace that have effective air-conditioning (the weather's turned pretty cool here now; but last night, with a big crowd in, the place got very SWEATY).

A big crowd, yes. Even that was a mixed blessing, at best. Sure, it generates a better vibe. And I'm happy for the performers, that they have a decent number of people to play to. And for the promoter (a friend of mine), that he doesn't lose money on the event. But this wasn't a particularly diverse crowd. No, it was about 90% raucous young white Americans. Clearly last night's acts have something of a following in the States. I had no idea there were so many RYWAs in Beijing. I had seen intimations of their growing numbers and their growing raucousness in places like Rickshaw (which is partly why I stopped going there some months since), but really, I had no idea there were this many. They are, I'm afraid, not my favourite slice of the demographic pie.

And they would insist on 'dancing', many of them. Now, I know this is a terrible cliché, but.... one of the reasons clichés become so overused is that they generally contain a large measure of truth. And so, cliché though it may be, I really think that most white folks can't dance as well as most black folks. Hell, most white folks can't really dance at all (and god, I know - I'm one). Certainly I don't think you could call most of the barely co-ordinated lurching and twitching on display last night dancing. And this inelegant cavorting by the young white folks somehow seems particularly inept and incongruous when they're doing it to 'black' music (well, the first act was black New York rapper Talib Kweli, and the second was a predominantly Hispanic band - but with many rap elements - from LA called Ozomatli). At least there were a few black guys there who really could dance. But, oh god, the RYWAs were just pitiful.

Irritating audience members aside (and trust me, it wasn't just the spazzy dancing, but so much more besides: the loutish impatience when waiting at the bar, the ridiculously elevated decibel level of every conversation, the general air of smug entitlement they seem to exude all the time), it was not really my kind of gig. I am famously intolerant of rap. I just don't see the point. A DJ spins fragments of decent but VERY LOUD dance tunes, while a big scary guy in a baseball cap and a hoodie prances to and fro across the stage SHOUTING - very fast and utterly unintelligibly - into a microphone. Hello? Yes? And the point would be....??

Ozomatli were much more to my taste - a useful little party band who generate lots of energy with their high-spirited antics on stage (the three-man horn section provides their heart-and-soul; and the trombonist, in particular, is a centrepiece - although no mean player of his instrument, his more important role seems be, like that of Bez in The Happy Mondays, to enthuse his bandmates and the audience with his 'freaky dancing'). Yes, they play real instruments - which I like. And they sing mostly in Spanish - which I like. And they have a horn section - which I like. Alas, most of their lyrics are in a rap style - which I don't like. Their main vocalist is very weak (although he does bear an amusing resemblance to Rory McGrath*); and their second vocalist is an out-and-out rapper (oh dear; my heart sank every time he stepped to the front of the stage. What - more high-volume poor elocution? No, please - get back behind your drum kit, man.). The tunes were pleasant and upbeat, but there was a rather wearing sameness about them - and after about an hour, I'd had quite enough.

Still, a gig's a gig. Parts of the experience were certainly interesting, even if I - mostly - hated the musical styles involved. And it was good to have forced myself to get out of the house for the evening (it has been threatening to be a very glum and apathetic week for me).

And I am hoping for better things later in the week.


* For the non-Brits amongst my readers, Rory McGrath is a comedian who has become a well-known face on TV over the past decade or so, mainly for his regular appearances on a popular BBC2 comedy quiz programme called 'They Think It's All Over'. He is a portly man with a beard and long curly hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, considering how much you dislike rap, i'm amazed anyone managed to get you to go to that show.

and RYWA?? is this common terminology or just a Froog thing? Is that Rich Young White American? Raucous Young White American? Or am I totally off?