Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Gig of all gigs

Oh, really, that was just ridiculous.

I went out last night to the big new music bar in my 'hood, the MAO Live House (which deserves a post of its own - some time soon, but not now). What a fantastic show! There was apparently some sort of tenuous 'hippie' theme, celebrating the spirit of '67, or somesuch. That didn't really seem to have much impact on the music, though; except that headliners Ziyo kicked off their set with a bitchin' cover of California Dreaming. Whatever the pretext, it was simply a quite awesome evening.

Now, you often get some long - and bizarrely diverse - gig line-ups here in Beijing, but this..... well, it just beggared belief. They had 4 or 5 of Beijing's very best bands playing together; and a similar number of mostly very decent support acts. It threatened to go on all night. It started shortly after 9pm, and - even with every band being very disciplined about playing no more than 25 minutes, and the changeovers being, mostly, amazingly slick - there was still no end in sight when I reluctantly quit in search of my bed at 1.30am. I just had no idea how many more acts were due on. (There was at least one more 'name' band, the Ningxia folk rockers, Buyi, still to come. I was sorry to miss them, but I have seen them quite a few times before; they're something of a fixture over at 2K.)

I doubt if this could happen in any other town or city in the world. 5 top bands sharing the bill?! And all for 50 kuai (6 or 7 bucks; a little over £3 - and that's pretty expensive: a lot of gigs here are completely free, and where there is a door charge, it's generally only 30 or 40 kuai). This is why we love Beijing!

Ziyo were my main reason for going. I'd been hearing good things about them for ages; but they haven't played that many gigs around Beijing - and I have somehow contrived to miss the few they have done. However, I did once meet their lovely singer, Helen, out at Kolegas a couple of years ago, and have had a raging crush on her ever since. They're a tight little band, but she is the big selling point. She's quite gorgeous, of course (and I really don't go for Chinese girls, on the whole!). She has a beautiful voice. And - unusually amongst Beijing's rockers - she speaks really good English; good enough to enable her to sing properly in English. Hence, they might actually have a shot at a bit of international recognition.

The other big highlight for me was the opening act, Queen Sea Big Shark (now that really was a measure of how wackily over-the-top this bill was: QSBS are an excellent outfit, often the headliners - and they were only the "warm-up" here?!). Their singer is arguably even sexier than Helen. Last night she was affecting a jeans-and-leather-jacket/surly biker chick/Chrissie Hynde look; good, though not quite as devastating as that silver micro-dress she wore at the D-22 anniversary party a few months back! Great band, great gal. But, alas, her efforts to sing in English are heavily accented; really a bit mangled; probably a mistake. Ah, but who listens to the words, anyway?

Lots of other great stuff too. There was one punky band - whose name I don't know and will probably never be able to discover - who did a decently energetic version of I Fought The Law. Cowboy, you should have been there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can attest to the "ridiculousness" of this line up and performance, not because I was there (this town is full of gigs... I was at another) but because Froog and I managed to divert our attention from our respective jaw dropping musical distractions long enough to exchange some sms commentary.

I believe his exact sms was "This is ridiculous"...

The British Cowboy said...

Why is I Fought the Law such a great song?

I've decided it comes down to one point...

The lyric "Robbin' people with a six-gun." And in particular, the pause before with an extra couple of drum beats to get to 6. I am sure there is a proper name for such a musical device, but I don't know it.

Anonymous said...

a. I actually know that song.

b. I like it, too.

c. I know nothing about Western (hemisphere, that is, not the cowboy-type) music, so I'll take your word on why it's such a great song.

and, I'm really sorry to see you posting on a Sunday... cuz I know what that means. How many hours did you end up tallying last week?

Froog said...

Yep, the pauses are good. And the frantic energy of the cascading guitar (a bit like some of that Dick Dale 'surf guitar' stuff, now I come to think of it). Probably the key part of its appeal, though, is surely just the title - it appeals to the rebel in all of us.

And of course the fact that this rebellion failed appeals to the melancholy streak in me...

And yet this song somehow never sounds 'defeated', does it? Although "the law won, and the guy is going to be breaking rocks for the rest of his days, his delivery of the story still sounds robustly defiant.

I imagine the song enjoys a particular following amongst law students and young lawyers, as they spend endless hours "breaking rocks" in the library, etc.

We should do it together at karaoke some time!!

The British Cowboy said...

78.5

And yesterday was fun too...