Monday, December 17, 2007

'Grand Slam' Sunday, Lazy Monday

As I've complained before (over on Froogville, here), I don't get to watch much football here in China, and I do rather miss it.

So, when the fixtures threw up the happy accident (?? - I assume the fixtures are produced randomly, but in these big money days.... perhaps not?) of the top four English sides playing each other on the same day - and at a crucial moment, just before the half-way point of the season, and with a chance that the lead could change hands - I felt I had to take advantage of my sudden dearth of employment and head out to a sports bar (or two) to catch the late-night action this Sunday. A fine pair of games they were, too - although, contrary to my expectations beforehand, it was the Liverpool v. Man Utd match that turned out to be the dour defensive stalemate (though it certainly had its moments; if Rooney hadn't fluffed the finish on that superb move near the end, that would have been a Goal of the Season contender..... god, that miss was so bad, you wonder if he didn't have a bet on the game finishing 0-1....), while the Arsenal v. Chelsea clash produced lots of thrilling end-to-end stuff.

And of course, since that second game didn't finish until nearly 2am local time, it seemed only natural to The Choirboy (also now on vacation) and myself to stay up all night drinking in a succession of other bars - rounding things off at an all-night jian bing (spicy pancake) stall at around 5am.

Hence, Monday was a bit of a non-day. Got up mid-afternoon - perhaps subsconsciously prompted by dim recollections of an invitation to a farewell poker tournament at Big Chris's at 3pm. I learned that he had decided to reschedule to the evening - I gratefully went back to bed..... Yep, a slow day......

No comments: