Thursday, December 27, 2007

A prediction fulfilled

Somehow, I just couldn't imagine The Chairman (notoriously weak-willed, danger-driven fellow that he is) keeping to his resolution to keep off the White Russians last night. And indeed he didn't. Neither did I!

Partly we might blame the weather. Beijing's air has been more than usually toxic over the past few days: it really does rasp at your windpipe after just a few seconds, and produces a permanent uncomfortable tickle in the throat - that can only be soothed by......

Partly we might blame the generous pricing policy of some of Beijing's bars. In the Yacht Club, the White Russian - though admittedly a fairly small measure - is a steal at 15RMB. We had to pay more than double that at Jianghu - but that's still a pretty good deal; especially as we were allowed to mix them ourselves (they were unfamiliar with the drink - I should have charged them a demonstration fee!), and thus got a particularly stiff measure.

Mostly, of course, we should blame our own lack of willpower. Well, that and - as The British Cowboy witheringly puts it - our latent girliness.

OK, so, I'm a girl...... I don't care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I held the view that White Russians were a bit girly. I said the same to some very 'manly men' who I was drinking with on Christmas eve.

It seems the drink is the flavor of the season?. I may have to try one but can't say I am keen on the idea of mixing milk with my spirits for reasons you have already covered. Having said that I was bought a shooter or two with banana cream something or other on the top the other night and must admit I liked them.

I suspect its similar to men wearing pink shirts - only men who are comfortable with their sexuality carry it off. Maybe I am stretching my theory a little too far with White Russian?

(I think I own a pink shirt or two, must check that.)

Froog said...

While in general, cream-based drinks mostly appeal to girls (and are designed to), that doesn't necessarily put them off-limits to us blokes.

I think the defining pop-culture image of the White Russian drinker today is the archetypally manly Jeff Bridges, as Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski in the Coen brothers' The Big Lebowski (not by any means my favourite of their films, but probably the one with the strongest cult following, especially in America; I reckon I should give it another viewing sometime soon, to see if my opinion of it my improve.... with the aid of a White Russian or two).

Pink shirt? Shocking, flamingo-pink satin shirt? (Somehow, that's always what I picture!) I don't think so. If I were playing maracas in a bossanova band, perhaps....

I doubt if either The Chairman or myself are quite confident enough in our sexuality to continue our White Russian habit in the face of direct accusations of girliness. If we had to endure The Cowboy's derision face-to-face, I fear we might abandon our tipple-of-the-moment.

But I don't think he's got plans to visit any time soon.... and cyber-sledging I can deal with....

Anonymous said...

I watched the The Big Lebowski recently. I liked it although I cant say if its my favorite of theirs. Jeff's dream sticks in my mind. Him floating between the waitresses legs (lined up like a 1930s chorus line) and then him slowly rotating. Its the kind of image one might invent but would never think could make it into a film, and then it did.

I was also amused by the slow motion limbering up of the up tight bowls player - like a bull fighter but cheesy slick.

Laid back funny.

(I was think more pink cotton shirts - one cant take these things too far!)

Froog said...

Now, a 'Thomas Pink' shirt I could wear....