Sunday, December 02, 2007

Rude Awakening

Yesterday I was kept out drinking till around 4.30, didn't get home till nearly 5, crashed out sitting bolt upright on a sofa as soon as I got through the door.... and thus didn't actually get myself into bed until about 7.30am.

I had proposed that my landlord come round to collect the next quarter's rent at 10am, but my Chinese go-between hadn't confirmed for me that he was OK with this..... so I had been optimistically assuming that he would come back to me with an alternate rendezvous time a day or two later.

But no - at about two minutes past 10am I got a phone call from my Chinese friend telling me that the landlord was outside my door and annoyed that I wasn't answering (I really don't think he can have been knocking very loud..... but I was very deeply asleep.....). It was lucky that I'd left my phone ringer on (most of the time I just set it to 'vibrate'). It was lucky that I'd left it in the pocket of my trousers beside my bed (although it did take me a good minute or so to locate and retrieve it). It was lucky that I had slept in my clothes (except for the trousers, that is), and was thus able to let the landlord in within seconds. It was lucky that I had taken the precaution of completing the preparatory tidying-up-and-mopping-the-floor ritual before I went out on Friday.

Very lucky indeed. The guy would have been livid if I'd stood him up on rent day.

Not a good start to the weekend....

No comments: