Saturday, December 29, 2007

Supplementary Christmas Week Haiku (HBH 60)



Cure for ills of throat
And stomach and heart and soul -
Soothing White Russian.



A few lines in honour of the 'drink of the week' (and the week ain't over yet!!).

I discover from my Net peregrinations this Saturday lunchtime (I wanted to find a picture of Jeff Bridges as "the Dude", White Russian in hand - but no joy! Anybody got one they could send me?) that it is possible - not desirable, but possible - if you don't want to shell out for a pre-mixed coffee liqueur, to whip up a "poor man's" version using sweetened instant coffee and a drop of vanilla essence. I hope Chinese bar owners don't find this site! Mind you, we probably shouldn't enquire too closely into the contents of their bottles of Kahlua....


That's my kitchen, that is! No, NO - I mustn't start mixing them at home - that is A Path to Fatness.


I am thinking of having a 'Big Lebowski' party soon, though....

6 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

We seem to make White Russians in a very different manner.

Froog said...

I didn't think you did make them? Or will you mix one up occasionally for female friends only??

What's your method then, o former bartending friend?

The British Cowboy said...

I bartended for 9 years... To me, a white russian is vodka, khalua, and half & half or milk. On ice.

Froog said...

Well, I think purists insist on single cream.... but that would just make it way too rich, I think. Should definitely be at least full-cream milk, though. The nicest one I ever had was half an inch or so of cream and then topped up with milk.

Some people seem to go heavy on the Kahlua - 1 for 1. Ugh - too sweet! Should be at least 2 vodka to 1 coffee for me.

I've even seen some things out there on the Net that suggest you should serve it like an Irish coffee, with the cream floating on the top unmixed. I think that's called Russian coffee, isn't it?

When I got to make my own in the Jianghu bar the other day, it was highball glass, 3 chunks of ice, double measure of vodka, short single measure of Kahlua, about 5 or 6 measures of unskimmed milk. Seemed to work pretty well - and only cost me a bit over 4 bucks.

Given time, money, and circumstances, I could convert you.

The British Cowboy said...

It was the vanilla, sugar, and instant coffee that threw me in the picture...

Froog said...

A Web tip for people too tight to buy Kahlua!

I was not recommending it!