Friday, December 21, 2007

Two weeks on the lash

When one of my friends broke up with his long-time girlfriend recently, he announced that he was going to go out heavily on the lash every night for two weeks. I think it ended up being four weeks, but..... he has now moderated the habit. He is moving on to Phase Two of his 'recovery programme', which is to go out on a date (with a different woman each time!) every night for the next few weeks.

I wonder if I should try to follow a similar scheme. I too have now been pretty solidly on the lash for two full weeks (having begun - in a spookily anticipatory way - somewhat before I learned of my brutal pre-Christmas sacking), and it is starting to wear me out. Shock and despair over the sudden joblessness are unfortunately combined with a seasonal depression brought on by the lousy weather, by the string of bad anniversaries that haunt me in this month (the death of my brother last year, the wreck of the most important and intense love affair of my life two years ago, my mother's sudden death a few years before that)...... and by the hopelessness of my infatuation with the witheringly uninterested Madame X.

Perhaps pursuing some other women - someone, anyone, as many as possible, let's not be fussy for once - is what I need to sober me up, get me over this, kick-start my life into a new and more productive phase.

Unfortunately, just about everyone I even vaguely fancy has left town for the next two or three weeks. So, maybe I'll just have to stay on the lash for a bit longer......

3 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

What? No rum or sodomy?

Froog said...

Alas, no. All at sea as I am....

Anonymous said...

TBC... how's your holidays?

Froog, bummer. maybe you need to meet some new people to fancy. Though i gotta say, judging by last night's turnout at Star Live, your pickings are pretty slim, unless you wanna risk one of those beautiful Uyghurs that you fancy so much. Or maybe we can come up with some parties we can go to this holiday week where you can meet women not backed up by a curved knife yielding chaperone.