Saturday, January 19, 2008

Carnival time again!

It's come around quite early this year, catching me rather by surprise. As I recounted last year, I have a personal connection with the Krewe du Vieux, the first, most intimate, and most bawdily satirical of the Mardi Gras season parades in New Orleans, my 'spiritual home'. I have attended three times in the past, and am overdue another visit. I had thought I might take advantage of my current joblessness to get over there this year, but it was only a few days ago that I discovered that this year's parade rolls tonight, January 19th - so, alas, I didn't have enough time to make the arrangements. Cruel Fate! Maybe next year.....

Ah, well, I shall be with them in spirit. And I can fritter away an hour or so this afternoon looking for photos of past parades on the Internet and reading the Krewe's annual 'manifesto', Le Monde de Merde.

This year's theme is a Beatles-punning 'Magical Misery Tour'. And I think the Krewe de Mama Roux has the best sub-krewe title:
"We all live in a Jello Shot machine."

And here's a video of last year's parade, to give you a hint of what it's all about. Only a hint, mind you - it can't begin to capture the whole delightful loopiness of the event, the alcohol, the obscure in-jokes, the alcohol, the beautiful girls, the marijuana, the music, the alcohol, the beautiful girls...... It's a great, great night.



A big hello from China to my friends in the Krewe de Craps!


(And what happened to the Krewe de Jew?! They always used to have the hottest girls, but they don't seem to be participating this year. I wonder if they've renamed themselves.)

No comments: