Saturday, January 05, 2008

A new 'interest'?

"I met a girl who sang the blues
I asked her for some happy news
She just smiled and turned away...."


I've always had a terrible weakness for female singers. And not just the groupie phenomenon of getting a vicarious adrenalin rush from a sexy live performance; no, I can fall in love with a woman's voice on a recording, without ever seeing her. I have been besotted with Margo Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies for years, and for a long time I had no idea what she looked like.

However, if someone has a characterful voice and is also beautiful and sexy in person....... Danger, Will Robinson!!

I am recklessly putting myself in harm's way by going to music bars as often as I do. Most of these places have 'open mic' sessions once in a while, where anyone, any new arrival (any young, gorgeous new arrival, so, so unimaginably far out of your league) might suddenly step up to the stage to enslave you with her voice and her eyes.....

I need to be more careful....

13 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

Oh, by the way, the New Years Eve possibility is a singer...

Froog said...

Wow! Go for it!!!!

Anonymous said...

this post sounds like you already stumbled across a fabulous female singer and now are trying to talk yourself out of not being in love with her. Jeesh, I'm out of the music scene for a week and look what I miss!

Froog said...

Got to watch out for those double negatives, T. I'm not sure now if I'm in love and trying not to be, or not in love but trying to fall, or....

It was a ships-passing-in-the-night thing; I'll probably never see her again.

The British Cowboy said...

It's like a soap opera, Tulsa. You miss three episodes and suddenly Jamie is Tom's sister not lover, and Froog is an alien after all.

My love life, on the other hand, is like a Jane Austin novel. Slow paced, poorly scripted, and of no interest to anyone else whatsoever.

Froog said...

Hey, don't knock Jane Austen, Cowboy. You just need to lengthen your attention-span again, Mr Child Of The MTV Generation, ADHD case.

Jane always has happy endings - it could be worth hanging in there for.

The British Cowboy said...

All of that "classic" nineteenth century English literature sucks donkey balls. There, I've said it.

Tomorrow, The British Cowboy will discuss French cinema.

Anonymous said...

LOL. yes, very soap opera.

and give us a try TBC. You're not allowed to judge the interest-level of your own love life -- that is for us to decide.

my spring US plans are shaping up - tell me where I can find this "singer" and let me judge away.

Froog, this is Beijing. Of course you'll see her again -- probably before you figure out what it was I was trying to say in that last comment.

Froog said...

I'm looking forward to the French cinema diatribe, Cowboy. I think maybe I should set up a new post specially for that, so you can really let rip.

Anonymous said...

Rip rip rip.

I second Froog.

The British Cowboy said...

Two words.

Arty Wank.

There you go.

Froog said...

Arty Wank? That's probably a name of a character in the new David L. Robbins novel (refer to early January Froogville posts for context).

Froog said...

I suppose enough time now has elapsed for me to reveal the identity of this crushette.

It was a lovely young lady called Anna Maria Hughes. She turned up to a Sunday night open mike at Jianghu at the start of the year, and soon afterwards had herself a regular spot at the ill-fated Room 101.

She mostly performed solo, on an electric bass - which was an engaging oddity. Mostly her own compositions too, as far as I remember. And she had a gorgeous voice. Alas, she was only around for one year.