Thursday, June 12, 2008

Spurn of the Moment

It occurs to me that this might well become the title for a whole series of posts on thwarted job prospects, neglectful friends, romantic rejections, etc.


A rather lovely American friend, recently returned from a holiday, was hanging out in my neighbourhood yesterday afternoon and evening - and we had been intermittently batting text messages to and fro about possibly meeting up in the Pool Bar later (she's not exactly a 'regular' there, but quite a frequent 'occasional').

There were vexing lapses in the communication from her side. I'd let her know early evening that I was attending a speaker meeting in the Bookworm, but would probably be heading back to the Pool Bar around 9, or a little later, and begged her to let me know if/when she'd be looking in there.

It wasn't until 2 or 3 hours later that she let me know she'd been there since opening time! But, she added, she was now quitting to go off and get dinner with a friend.

I complained that she was TAUNTING me rather too cruelly! I asked her to let me know if she'd be looking in again for a nightcap afterwards.

Again, a long silence. (By this time, post-speaker meeting, I had been ambushed by some male buddies in Sanlitun, and was happily getting toasted with them - but I was only a 10-minute cab ride away, if the lovely American should happen to drop me a line.) Then, around 11pm, I got another message from her - letting me know that she had indeed gone back to the Pool Bar after dinner, but was now finishing up her last drink.

"Major taunting!" I cried.

"Spur of the moment decision," she apologised.

"More like SPURN OF THE MOMENT," I whinged.

Once more, the story of my life in txt msgs.........

No comments: