Sunday, July 06, 2008

Can the Band Names Game survive??

Well, it seems the answer is 'Yes', if regular winner, Gary, has anything to do with it.

Last month, distracted by the European Football Championship, I hadn't given any thought to the Possible Band Names competition, hadn't dropped in any reminders about it in my day-to-day posts here and on Froogville (as I usually try to do). Hence..... we went through the entire month without any new entries.

That is..... until Gary (now, apparently, decamped to the States because of the all-too-common 'visa issues' we're suffering here in pre-Olympic China) once again chipped in (on the morning of 1st July here in Beijing, but I think we'll give him the benefit of the doubt: he claims it was was still the evening of the 30th where he was writing from).

The cheeky fellow plundered his inspiration this time from phrases my buddy The British Cowboy and I had traded with each other in the course of our discussions of the football (Really! You can find these band name ideas anywhere!!).

I think Johnny Matador (my nickname for the ultimately victorious Spanish team) takes the top prize this time; although I also rather like Big Lad Gomez (strangely, a German rather than a Spanish striker - and not a very good one) and Romulan Benchwarmers.

For a 'Foreign Language' Band Name, Gary suggests Carpe Diem. (Is that the first time we've had Latin?? I think it probably is.)

And for a Cover Band, he gives us The Sax Pistols. (Punk rock given a light jazz makeover?! I fear this is almost certainly happening already, somewhere in this mad and terrible world.)

No comments: