Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Do I hate Tuesdays??

I can't quite decide.

It is a bit of a lacklustre, nothing sort of day. A day with no gigs (EVER). A day when people are still "recovering" from their wild weekends. A day when it is damned hard to persuade anyone to come out carousing.

On the other hand, I haven't been to Kro's Nest in three months (that is, I haven't been and stayed!), and I am developing an insistent craving for one of their fine pizzas. Also, I believe, they are still running their We Hate Tuesdays promotion, where the local draft beer is 5 kuai a glass all night (and completely FREE for the first couple of barrels).

I'm definitely keen to give it a look. But it feels rather sad to be going on my own......


I suspect it might be worth getting out into Sanlitun tonight, though. This might well be one of the biggest party nights of the year - since it is the eve of the National Day holiday. I rarely venture far from home on the Chinese national holidays, but I happened to head over into the city's main bar district in the wee small hours of May Day morn, and found it fairly seething with foreigners (in fact, you might recall that I suffered another of the scornful prods-in-the-ribs that Dame Fate so loves to dole out to me, when I happened to run into all three of the women that I was unrequitedly smitten with at the time...... within 5 minutes and about 100 yards of each other!). Coming home at dawn (I'd been up watching one of the Champions League football semi-finals, I think), there were so many zombified all-night revellers (almost all laowai) doing likewise that it was quite impossible to get cabs, and I ended up walking the whole 6 miles home.

Of course, there is a full 'golden week' holiday this week whereas for May Day (this year, for the first time in a while) there wasn't, so a lot of people will have skipped out of town to Thailand or the Philippines or whatever (I had been contemplating somthing of the sort myself, but money's too tight to mention). And a lot of the city's foreign contingent haven't returned from the Great Pre-Olympic Clearout yet. So...... it probably won't be such a big night as May Eve. But I think there'll probably be a fair amount going on. Let's go see, shall we?

1 comment:

Froog said...

No, nowhere as big as May Eve, but there were modest crowds out and about. Rather more like a Thursday crowd than a Friday or Saturday crowd, though.

Not a bad evening, all in all. I found myself staying out till 1.30am, and blowing quite a lot of money in the process.