Friday, September 12, 2008

The last days of 101

My local favourite, Room 101 on Andingmennei, is soon to close.

After a very dodgy start, it has spectacularly redeemed itself, becoming one of the best bars in the neighbourhood, one of the best bars in the entire city. Indeed, I would say that it is probably 'The Bar Of The Year' (the Pool Bar still retains a special place in my heart, and probably occupies just slightly more of my time, but it's not the kind of place you'd often recommend to anyone: it's only really a great bar if you're one of the 'regulars' - and if you like pool!).


Unfortunately, Room 101's overheads are high and its custom - most days - is very low. So, the owners have decided on a complete revamp: they're going to close down at the end of the October National Holiday week and gut the place, strip out the existing bar and stage to build new ones, completely redecorate and rebrand the place.

This is, I think, a grave mistake. The new incarnation will almost certainly lose as much money as the current one, perhaps more. I shall detail my reasons for predicting this in a fuller post at a later date.

For now, I just wanted to say - damn, I'm going to miss that place! And I suppose I'll have to make the most of the three weeks that remain.....

No comments: