Friday, September 26, 2008

What would Brian Boitano do?

If you were him and he were you....?


Or, what would you do if you were Froog? And you found yourself in a bar faced with the dilemma of talking to a knee-tremblingly gorgeous American woman on your right who appeared to be entirely on her own, or some geeky 20-year-old Chinese guy on your left?

Yep, you guessed it.

But how often do you meet a young Chinese guy who speaks really good English? OK, pretty often.

But how often does it turn out that he's a documentary film-maker? Well, not that infrequently.

OK, OK, but you test him out and ask him to name one of his favourite directors - how often (anywhere in the world) does the guy immediately say....... Ken Loach? Never!

No, this was a more-than-usually interesting young man. And I think he might actually become a film-maker of note one day. And even if he doesn't, I think he'll do something unusual and useful with his life. And I think he might become a good friend.

The woman, on the other hand..... well, she probably wasn't single. And she was waiting for a crowd of other birthday revellers (who did indeed engulf her just a few minutes later - yes, I did speak to her a bit). And if she were single, her attention would probably soon have been distracted by some other guy who was more confident and more pushy in the arts of sexual predation (it happened to me last week..... it'll happen next week......).

Froog has had enough of knockbacks, frustration, and disappointment just recently, thank you.

Oh, I know - I should try to "get back in the game", to get over my unhealthy you-know-who fixation. I am trying, honestly. Perhaps I need to try just a bit harder.

But I really think I made the right choice tonight.

As Winston Churchill once put it, "A good woman is still just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."

Or, as Froog would put it, "A woman is usually just an idle (and frustrating) flirtation, but a man is more often a conversation."

No comments: