Monday, October 20, 2008

An unanswerable question?

Why are the women who organise speed-dating events always so much hotter than any of the participants?


For once, I have no theory to proffer in explanation. It is one of the world's great mysteries (which is perhaps a suitable category tag for this post?).

Not that I have actually taken part in such an event myself, you understand. Oh, no; I just happened to witness one over the weekend.

I think I may have mentioned before (then again, maybe not; I can't find it in a search of my blogs) that once, browsing in a bookshop in Oxford, I came upon a Mandarin phrasebook, and the useful expression that leapt off the first page I turned to was..... "I don't mind watching, but I prefer not to participate."

I've often thought that that might be my epitaph.

No comments: