Thursday, November 20, 2008

No Abby this year??

For the last 4 years, Abigail Washburn, a rather lovely American folk singer (plays a bit of banjo too) who'd spent some time working and travelling in China in the early Noughties and become rather smitten with the place (I know the feeling), had brought a small acoustic band over here in November for a mini-tour of China, always playing 3 or 4 dates in Beijing. I immediately became a fan. In fact, I think I've been to all but 2 or 3 of the dozen or so gigs she's played in the city now.

This year, alas, the sequence is broken. However, we can still enjoy our memories..... here, in this interview and jam session (with Beijing-based Mongolian folk rockers Hanggai) shot for Danwei TV a year or two ago on a rooftop in the hutongs near my home. (Is this in fact the roof of the Jiangjinjiu music bar next to the Drum Tower? I suspect it is, but can't quite tell. Does anyone know?) Enjoy.

Well, Abby may not have brought a band over this year, but I spotted her in the audience at a gig last week; apparently, she's in town for a holiday. And there's a rumour that she may sit in for a song or two with her friends Black Cat Bone at their CD launch party at Yugong Yishan this Saturday. Hard to resist....

No comments: