Friday, December 12, 2008

The spirit of scientic enquiry.....

Why else would I consider venturing out to the distant (and largely devoid of decent bars) wasteland of Wudaokou on a Friday evening?

Despite the very favourable impression that D-22 made on me when I last gave it a try at the Ian Sherman Benefit Gig, I haven't found a reason to go back there since, and that was 6-and-a-half months ago. As I noted then, I was a little sceptical as to whether the miraculous changes they seemed to have wrought in the place - reliable mike cables, maximally tweaked sound balance, decent draft beer, impeccable bar service - would long endure. Now, perhaps, we shall see.

The particular draw tonight is the brief resurrection of White, one of Beijing's only genuinely unique musical outfits - often given the unappealing tag of being a 'noise' band, but I'm not sure that that really covers it too well: it's experimental, largely improvisatory, and, yes, oddball and rather self-indulgent, but quite clever, usually surprisingly listenable and even occasionally melodic. It's a collaboration between two of the Beijing scene's most talented musicians - Shenggy, former drummer of the (appallingly named) all-girl band Hang On The Box (although I think she plays a bit of guitar and keyboards too, and, if I recall aright, has a much nicer singing voice than the rather raucous HOTB frontwoman, Gia), and Jeff Zhang of the (appallingly named) Carsick Cars, who can't sing worth a damn but plays some pretty nifty guitar. They'd played several rather good gigs a couple of years back - sometimes just as a duo, sometimes with an extended lineup of supplementary musicians - and there was talk of a record; but then Shenggy departed for graduate studies in England. They're getting back together just for a few gigs this December - so, not to be missed. At least, I hope they're not to be missed; D-22 has a long history of disappointing me, even with good bands. And this is perhaps a rather hit-or-miss band.

Now, now, Froog - positive thinking!

No comments: