Friday, January 16, 2009

HBH 115

Scanning the menu:
Awkward, unfamiliar choices.
Drinking - without drink!


One of the hardest aspects of the abstinence from alcohol I have imposed on myself this month is finding something else to drink when I go out. Tonic water would usually be my first choice (refreshing; and, if I'm getting too much 'withdrawal', I can fantasise that it's a G & T!), although I get irked by the fact that in most places a plain tonic water costs more than a gin & tonic (in years gone by, I have become embroiled in unseemly negotiations to try and procure a gin & tonic without gin, to try to save myself a few kuai). Also, since 'skinny' tonic water is seldom or never available here, it's not exactly a diet-friendly option; and weight-loss, rather than liver-repair, is the main aim of the current exercise in self-denial.

These days, I am delighted to find, the variety - and price - of non-alcoholic drinks is much improved in many venues. Indeed, I feel that I am rapidly becoming an expert in this curious field!


This month I have been mostly drinking.....

'Tea', in Chinese restaurants
(the complimentary stuff most places offer you is little more than warm water; just enough leaves are added to give a hint of colour, but no real flavour)

Sparkling mineral water, at The Opposite House the other night
(it was my freebie with admission to a networking event; I wouldn't have fancied paying 38 kuai for a small bottle of the stuff otherwise)

Plain bottled water, at Luga's Villa
(quite good stuff; and a very reasonable 5 kuai during the early evening happy hour)

Tonic water, at the Pool Bar
(yes, it's more expensive than a gin & tonic; but there aren't really any other tempting options at my favourite local dive)

Ginger ale, at Salud
(my other favourite hangout in the 'hood, by contrast, has a range of soft drinks at only 10 kuai each, which, I'm sure, since soft drinks are invariably horribly overpriced, must be the best deal in town; I'd never realised this before!)

Warm coconut milk, at Jiangjinjiu
(when I went there to see Xinjiang guitar wizard Ekber accompanying a visiting Aussie banjo player on Monday; a soothing winter drink, and an essential medicine against the oppressive smokiness of this small and sadly under-ventilated bar)

And.... nothing at all, at Yugong Yishan last weekend
(I've always complained their drinks are too darned expensive, anyway; I was impressed with myself that I managed to survive a gig without drinking at all, but..... well, booze is really an essential accompaniment to party blues outfit Black Cat Bone.....)

No comments: