Friday, January 30, 2009

HBH 117

First rain after drought
has no effect. The second
begins to revive.


I'm not sure if I entirely believe in this as a metaphor for my resumption of drinking after a spell on the wagon. For me, it seems to be more a case of not enjoying drinking very much at the moment, even on the second, third, and fourth nights that I've been back in my old ways. This probably has more to do with my mood at the moment (January is not a happy month for me) than anything else.

And NO, I didn't make it to my original goal of of 31 full days of abstinence - from the 5th of January until the 5th of February. In fact, I barely made it half that distance. Last week there were just too many of the 'exceptions' that I'd always promised to allow myself, the irresistible excuses to drink: Obama's Inauguration, a late birthday gathering for my friend DD, the Chairman's farewell (he'll be coming back again in a few weeks, but....), and then the Chinese New Year.

Nevertheless, two weeks of complete abstinence is pretty good. It's been a long while since I last did that. Last year, I fear, I very seldom managed even two or three consecutive days without a drink!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for bar stool in contemporary designs, here is one I found that offers a comprehensive selection.

Froog said...

Ooh, spam! How nice!

These bar stools are monstrosities: expensive, ugly, mostly not made of wood (a bar stool must be wood!), and mostly nowhere near tall enough - more like slightly high chairs than bar stools.

Worth taking a look, just to remind ourselves what crap some people will buy.