Monday, January 26, 2009

Taking the Strine...

Never mind all this Chinese New Year nonsense!

Today also happens to be Australia Day. And I discovered during my meanderings around the neighbourhood yesterday evening that Ned's, the friendly little bar on Nanluoguxiang that was opened by two young Aussies, Steve and Trent, last summer (and named after the celebrated bushwacker Ned Kelly - there's a rather impressive facsimile of his homemade iron helmet hanging outside the door) is doing a "special offer" on all of their fine selection of Oz beers today. I'm quite partial to VB, myself; though I'm loathe to pay the 25 kuai usually asked for it. Today's price of 15 kuai is far more tempting.

I am a little bit nervous, though, as to just how many Aussies might turn out for this. I recall that Joseph (also an Aussie) and Li Mei of the nearby 12 Square Metres bar told me they set their attendance record on this day last year (only 26 people; but, given the size of the place, that's sardines time!). Ned's isn't that much bigger; and the Aussie drinking contingent won't be split between the two Aussie-owned venues on the street because our friendly 12 Sq M proprietors are in the middle of a 6-week holiday Down Under. Yes, it could be busy....

I think I'd better go for a run first, to build up a thirst.

1 comment:

Froog said...

Ned's did indeed appear to have a very good day/evening on Monday.

In the end, I didn't drop in myself though - the 'no playmates' problem again!

I did wander past mid-evening to check it out, but it was fairly packed (15 or 20 people; more than enough for that space). All rather young, too. And probably nearly all Aussies. I feared I wouldn't fit in.

I am pining, though, for 12 Square Meters to resume business in a week or so.