Saturday, February 21, 2009

Quest

I gather that there is another 'Japanese whisky bar' in town (not a phenomenon I particularly warm to; note my comments on Ichikura in my annual bar awards post!) that I haven't yet tried.

This one, I'm told, emphasises North American whiskies rather than Scotch or Irish ones, and has an enormous selection of them.

I was reminded when watching The Hustler again recently that Fast Eddie's favoured poison is a brand of bourbon called J.T.S. Brown. I hadn't remembered this detail from the film, and I don't think I've ever seen or heard of this whiskey. However, as an idolater of this film and this character, I feel I ought to find some and give it a try.

It seems as though this obscure Japanese place would be my best bet for getting hold of some in Beijing. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what it is called, and I have no idea whereabouts in the city it is supposed to be. And if it's as crazily inconspicuous as its brothers Ichikura and Glen (no sign out front, entrance round the side, up a fire staircase), it could take me a very long time to track it down.

Still, it's good to set goals and objectives for yourself, isn't it?

No comments: