Sunday, March 29, 2009

Elements of consolation

"How is life treating you?" people keep asking me of late. They should know better.

"As usual, like a burly and amorous jailmate," I reply.


However, even when Disappointment, Perplexity, and Frustration (my three least favourite racehorses) are doing their worst.... there's always the Pool Bar.

It's amazing how quickly you can get over a broken heart with.....

1) A few quick games of pool (even when I get beaten by a girl; I was playing well, she was playing better)

2) Football on the TV (England playing, England winning - surely not?!)

3) Not one, not two, not three, but four vivacious Chinese girls flirting with me!

4) The irrepressible Mr Li serenading the aforementioned lovely girls in an impromptu karaoke session (I'm not usually much of a one for Chinese pop music, but the charming old rogue won me over)


Always great times at the Pool Bar.

8 comments:

gary said...

"Like a burly and amorous jailmate"!! I love that - you should put it on a t-shirt.

Don't like to ask what's happened to make you feel that way.

Froog said...

Love, Gary, love.

I have found my soulmate. She was only here on business for a week.

gary said...

Not coming back?

Where's she from?

Pursue! Pursue!

Froog said...

She's Swedish, but based in Dhaka!!

I will go as soon as she invites me. If she invites me.

snopes said...

Well, this is good news, sir. Congratulations.

It is unfortunate that you never seem to be able to fall for someone who lives in the same city as you. Please try not to let that discourage you this time. Where there's a will, as they say. Does she return your feelings?

Froog said...

Why, Mr Snopes! It's good to have you back.

You never beat around the bush, do you? Just cut straight to the heart of the matter!


No, I remain horribly unsure - though rather pessimistic - about her feelings for me. She avoided discussing the issue directly; and the signals were very mixed, though mostly not good. She did seem extraordinarily eager to spend time with me; but on the other hand, she was setting up barriers to intimacy. Warmth, but no passion.

I fear she sees me as a fabulously interesting - but woefully unattractive - Platonic friend.

But we shall see. We have talked of my paying her a visit. I think we need to have a frank conversation about whether it can be anything other than just Platonic before I do that, though.



It is off-pissingly reminiscent of the Madame X situation....

snopes said...

Oh dear.

Well, keep your chin up for now. You won't know for sure unless you press the issue.

And even if she's undecided at the moment, you may yet win her round. You can be a very charming fellow when you put your mind to it.

Froog said...

Mr Snopes, I should marry you.

I'm afraid I'm all out of charm. Did my best on the charm front, and it evidently wasn't enough.