Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Pat's!

Draught Guinness might actually be an option this year. I gather the folks at Gingko have installed a Guinness tap - for this week only! And it's a just-about-affordable 40 RMB per pint. They've also lined up my favourite Chinese-Irish band to play. Might possibly start out at The Den, though, since - awful though it is in most other ways - it is the only place in town to sell its Guinness half-price on happy hour. (Of course, I'll probably schlepp all the way over there only to discover that they're not doing that tonight... or that the place is heaved out... or....)

No matter. I will find a way to get drunk somehow. This is a once-a-year blowout. As I have just observed to the Weeble (sadly, he can't be with us today):

"By 10pm tonight I expect to be suffering Guinness reflux, shedding a tear over The Famine, and forgetting all verses save the first of 'Wild Rover'."

No comments: