Saturday, May 30, 2009

Great Love Songs (16)

We haven't had a new post in my 'Great Songs' series for a while - mainly because of the block on YouTube in China since March. However, there are ways round these things.....

And this is something I've been meaning to post for ages: blues master Big Bill Broonzy playing his exquisite version of what I had always believed was a Gershwin show tune, but I now discover was actually written by one Billy Hill (little known now, but apparently one of the Tin Pan Alley greats in the 1930s) - Glory of Love. The extended instrumental opening I find just exquisite; it's one of my very favourite pieces of acoustic guitar playing. I have never been able to find this on CD (although I have a number of compilations of Broonzy's work); the only copy I've ever owned is on vinyl, and now lodged with a friend back in the UK - I miss it. (One of these days, I really must get to grips with the technology of this online piracy thing!)

1 comment:

Froog said...

Oh, wow - I just got to hear this clip for the first time (YouTube has been very glitchy over proxies). Love this song!