Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Choices, choices

There are two events on tonight which hold a certain attraction for me.
 
One is an International Networking Night at the St Regis Hotel, staged jointly by a number of the foreign Chambers of Commerce.  When I was a newbie here, I used to go to these things quite a lot, and mostly I quite enjoyed them, but.... well, in the last few years I rather seem to have lost my zest for them.  However, I really feel that I ought to start getting out to that sort of thing again more often, since my circle of friends is dwindling.... and I haven't met any new romantic prospects in... well, all year, really!
 
The other is the Manhattan Short Film Festival at Yugong Yishan.  Event sounds fun.  Venue sucks.
 
Hmm.  Tough call.  I may have to flip a coin, or something.
 
If it were a straight choice between sex and culture, I'd go for culture every time (but it isn't that straightforward a dichotomy: the networker will probably have far more people there, and thus give me a statistically greater chance of meeting someone interesting; but there's likely to be a far higher proportion of people that I'd find interesting at a film show).
 
Ah, but it's such beautiful weather, I don't think I'll much fancy cooping myself up indoors anywhere during the early evening.  You'll more likely find me at a sidewalk table somewhere, supping a cold beer.
 
 

1 comment:

Froog said...

Oh my god - I initially typed "in the lost few years" there. Subconscious significance, or what?