Friday, September 18, 2009

Feast or famine

I'd been griping that there didn't seem to have been many decent gigs on recently..... and then this week, we get TWO at the same time (it's like the London buses!) that I would normally regard as a must-see.
 
This Saturday night, we see blues-rock party boys Black Cat Bone returning to their spiritual (and I'm thinking Jack Daniel's here) home of 2 Kolegas.  I'm happy to learn that new kids on the block, The Redbucks (a gaggle of young Americans who play 'roots music' - country, bluegrass, etc.), will be opening for them. That's two bands worth travelling out to the wild east side for. (And if you miss The Redbucks on Saturday, they have a Monday night residency at Jiangjinjiu this month, and are returning to 2K on their own next Wednesday.)
 
A major rival attraction, however, is that the very wonderful Ningxia folk rockers Buyi are playing in my own backyard, at Jiangjinjiu on the Bell Tower Square, at the same time.  Apparently they have yet another new album to promote, so are likely to be gigging a lot (do they ever take a break?) over the next few months.  And, to be honest, they're a bit too popular for 3J: the last time I saw them there it was a taking-turns-to-breathe scenario, and I practically had to sit on the stage with the band (although this did enable to me to get cosy with their outrageously sexy bass player).  Although there's always the option of listening from the Square outside...
 
Yes, either of these would be a most worthy use of my Saturday night (or both - isn't there some way one could fit in both??), but.... I'm spending the weekend in the country.
 
Ah well, there'll be other gigs...

No comments: