Saturday, January 02, 2010

Happy Birthday, Amilal

January 1st seems a rather unlikely - though easy to remember! - day to launch a bar, and I suspect Alus may just have chosen the date as conveniently significant and close enough (perhaps bars are viewed like racehorses, all sharing a standardized birthday?). I think The Weeble and a few other select regulars from the old Sandglass, Alc's previous establishment on Nanluoguxiang, had been invited in a few times while the place was still being fitted out in December, but I don't recall it being properly open for business until just before Spring Festival, which was at the end of January last year.

However, the boss man has decreed that the 'official' birthday is January 1st. So be it.

Free booze all night. Weeble, you were missed.

(This wasn't really the start to the New Year I needed. After the physical and emotional rigours of New Year's Eve, I had been hoping for a quiet night, an early night, a little bit of detox - not four hours of drinking whisky!!)

2 comments:

The Weeble said...

I was in communication with Alc via SMS during the festivities, and he has allowed that he may give me my share of the free booze upon my return.

Amilal did officially open in early January last year, I believe -- I was there first in early December, when they were still fixing the place up, and had my first drink there in mid-December; then I was gone for a few weeks and came back to find the place open for business by the second week of January.

Froog said...

I have just learned that I fell asleep in The Muslim afterwards.

I had no recollection of that at all. Nor of there being another friend along, as well as the inevitable Dr Manhattan, to witness my upright slumber.

The really disturbing thing is that I had substituted another memory, of a more typical Muslim experience with just the good Dr present and me relatively sober, able to stay awake.

Strange how the brain works.